Thursday, August 28, 2008

Eidsvollsbygningen: The Birthplace of the Norwegian Constitution

Our class had a field trip to Eidsvoll today; to the location where the Norwegian Consitution was created and signed! It was a very exciting trip. I can surely say that this is the best fieldtrip I have ever been on!

On the way there, I had a very pleasant conversation with a historian (his name is Morten, he also gives lectures to our class) about languages, globalization, nationalism, and books! It was a great train ride. And during the transfer, I bought a postcard and High School Musical trading cards! So the day already started out really well!!

Eidsvollsbygningen house was amazingly beautiful and old. It has been preserved very well. Our class had a guided tour through the house where representatives met to discuss the Constitution and later on signed it. Of course, I took detailed notes during the whole guide, just to discover that there is a brochure with all the information! I also read some information about the place before hand, so I didn't really need to take notes at all. In any case, I'm glad I took notes, because now I can remember it better.

After the guided tour, we went to the building next to the mansion. This place was a cafe for the museum, as well as a more informational museum (the house serves as a historic monument, to look pretty). There were displays, posters, videos, and many more informational set ups that were very catchy and detailed, as well as meaningful. We had a PDA to listen to the naration of the whole museum as we walked through. I of course, messed up. I tried to lock the touch pad, and ended up poping out the battery and it all shut down. I couldn't open the program again, so I had to improvise and find the audio files in the memory and listened to each individual one. I survived! When I returned the PDA I bought a feather ink pen to add to my pen/pencil/writing utensil collection. I collect pens and pencils when I go places.

After that, I went to the gift shop and bought some choclates; small pieces to distribute.

When we got ready to leave, we took pictures with the statues in the front of the location. It was very fun and it was our first class group picture that was complete.

I will have pictures up when I can. Right now, I just want to finish Breaking Dawing (The end of the Twilight Saga)! I'm only in the first 100 pages but the story is already progressing at lightning speed!! I plan on finishing thing book today so I can start on my book for class tomorrow without being distracted. I hope I can finish the Breaking Dawn today, since it's really thick. But I do have more or less 7 hours, so I could try to read faster! So when things are more settled, I will take some time to post pictures!

No comments: