Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Oslo, class, stress

Emily and I traveled to Oslo today to meet with our Norwegian friend and her boyfriend who studies at PLU. Christina was on the tennis team. The trip is a bit long, but enjoyable, but only the way there. On the way back, it was a less comfortable and more crowded train. We had fun in Oslo and I bought some coffee and chocolate for gifts when I return. I've frozen these items so that they will last 4 months. We had Chinese food, and they don't split checks here (it's very rare). So, Christina paid for us, which was so nice of her! We also went to a big, very well known park in Oslo. The gardens were beautiful as well as the huge water fountain and lake. There were statues all around the fountain, and then some! They were all of naked humans of all ages, performing normal human acts. I felt a bit uncomfortable at first, but then I understood (I hope) th meaning and purpose of those statues being naked, yet doing normal activities. These activities are very simple, such as playing with your baby, meeting your loved one, just standing, hugging, running, crouching, everything! It's to get in touch with nature and your true self and your family without the pretenses of the world, symbolized by clothing! I was very proud when I thought of this. I must research the park and write a little "report" on it. I took many pictures and I will put them up later when I have a chance.

When we had class today, it was very exciting, at first. Then everything just came to me almost consecutively; field studies, assignments, papers, group reading discussions, BAM! It just kept coming! And the due dates are so soon, I hadn't realized, because we had just started! So now I have to get on top of things even more than before! It's a good thing I'm very interested in the subject matter!

No comments: