Saturday, August 16, 2008

... and off we go!

(This is from my journal)
2008-08-14
7pm, US Time

It's so quiet. This terminal isn't the usual that I'm used to, but that's because usually I'm going to Vietnam, not Norway. this trip is very similar, yet different than my usual trips. The security and anticipation is pretty much the same, and the rule with no water too. However, this is much more quiet - for now, and inside at least. It's like there's so much bottled up inside that everything outside is quiet and calm. Also, there isn't a bunch of little Asian children running around and speaking Vietnamese, like all my other trips to Vietnam. But like I said, I'm not going to Vietnam; I'm going to NORWAY!

I'm glad Janie got me this sketch book because now I can both journal and sketch my trip to Norway. This is a once in a lifetime trip and I plan to capture it as best as I can with my limited drawing skills.


2008-08-15
4:10pm, Copenhagen Time

Emily and I are now at Gate B4, waiting for our next flight which is Oslo!

I used their [Copenhagen airport) pay phone at the airport with my debit card. It was confusing at first because we couldn't figure out how to work it, and it wasn't in English and we wern't sure how the keypad worked to put the "@" symbol for e-mail. Then we figured that you needed "00" before the number and voila! It works! We talked to Stian, or at least I think it was him and explained our delay. And then i called home and left a voicemail for my dad. the panic ceased and now, all is well.

I also used the bathroom at the Copenhagen airport. I have to say, it was different. First, the toilet was oval-ish square rather than our round oval in he US. Also, the atmosphere was somewhat claustrophobic, but not too bad. The thing that I found most different was the paper towels. "Well, paper towels are paper towels, what's so strange about that?" you might ask. Well, they are actually towels in a roll and you can't rip them out like noraml paper towels in US. they just get rolled up at the opposite end each time you pull, so once it is washed (I assume) you can just re-use it.

I drew a diagram:

No comments: