Monday, September 1, 2008

Pictures from Oslo and Eidsvoll

So I've been kind of busy lately with school starting move at lightning speed. However, I'm all caught up and now have some time to put up the long await pictures (well, if anyone was waiting that is).

Oslo on Tuesday August 26, 2008
First, I shall start with pictures from my Oslo trip last Tuesday to see Christina.


The early train was pretty empty, and really comfortable! And it wasy WAY expensive too. The tickets were 225kr for each way, so 450kr total for the day, plus 48kr for the subway in Oslo, which comes to a total of 498kr total for transportation for the day. That is almost $100. That makes me sad.


There were many flourist shops at the train station at Oslo Central Station. This one's just for you, Olesya!


Globalization is pretty amazing. Burger King and McDonalds were both at the train station. I didn't have any, however, because they were massively expensive.


Christina is figuring out the subway routes, because us Americans were pretty much incompetent at that point. We were so glad she was there and knew what to do.


This is the subway in Oslo. It's not as crowded as a scene you'd expect in New York or something. It was pretty tame.


I don't remember the name of the park we went to, but it was HUGE! This is a snapshot of one angle of the lake.



We walked around for a while, looking for a restaurant to eat in. This is the lake from earlier from another angle. We never found the restaurant, and ended up going to a Chinese place outside of the park to eat. It was ok Chinese food.


More flowers! They were everywhere, really. This is the rose garden in front of the pathway that leads to the center with all the nude statues and sculptures.


A little garden that we passed by in the journey to find the non-existent restaurant in the park.


There were NUMEROUS nude sculptures; I felt pretty uncomfortable at first, but like I mentioned in my earlier post about the visit, I saw the meaning behind it. I thought this couple was sweet. They are just savoring a moment together.


On the way up to the new giant sculpture (which was unfinished), I passed by small gardens with fountains.


The family is important in Norwegian culture. This is a sculpture of grandpa and his grandchildren, I assume.


Emily, me and Christina in front of one of the mini fountains.


I couldn't pass up the opportunity to take a picture with the most famous sculture there: the angry child. He has a golden fist made of copper (I think it's copper). This kind of reminds me of my baby sister, Theara. I miss you babie!


Eidsvoll on Thursday August 28, 2008
Finally, here are the pictures from my trip to Eidsvoll where we visited the house where the Norwegian Constition was drafted and signed.


Our journey consisted of train, train transfer and walking. This is a scene from when I was walking.


Also, another scene from when I was walking.


This is in front of the house we visited. Isn't it pretty?


This was right in front of the actual house.


We had to wear plastic blue covers over our shoes to keep the house clean. It's been preserved as a national monument, in beautiful condition; so we wouldn't want to dirty it now would we?


One of the displays in the museum in the next door building. This is a carriage from te time/era that the Norwegian Constitution was signed.


Oh, yes, I am such a trouble maker... just kidding! The graffitti was part of a display.


This is a sculpture of the owner of the house. He allowed the representatives of that time gather in his little mansion to discuss the Constitution and sign it.


A picture from the front yard.


A group picture of my Society and Culture class in front of national poet Henrik Wergeland.


Me and the national poet.


On the way back, we had to wait for our train, so some people played fisbie!

So those are all the pictures that I promised from Oslo and Eidsvoll! I hope you enjoyed looking at them. Feel free to comment about any of them!

1 comment:

hallvors said...

Nice photos. The big sculpture in Vigelandparken isn't unfinished, they are just cleaning it. :)