Thursday, August 21, 2008

A Different Way to Socialize

I notice that here, people socialize very differently from what I am use to for my age group. Every night since I've arrived, there have been parties and music. They don't even wait for the weekends or anything. Night time is night time and it's a time to drink and socialize. So I assume almost everyone have hang overs every morning or something. These Norwegian students my age, some a bit older, are pretty much drinking when they have a chance, and almost everyone has beer bellies, in American terms. I have no problem with this, but it's just new to me. In the states, especially PLU, drinking alcohol is not something to be so freely discussed, but they talked about it in their opening ceremony (like Convocation) as if it was nothing, which it is nothing of bad significance here. It's as if there is a whole culture of socializing that revolves around drinking. It's fascinating! I'd sit there, not drinking myself, observing the people and the conversations around me. The ones who are not drinking are less likely to introduce themselves to me and start a conversation. However, someone with some alcohol in their system would introduce themself to me and start a conversation as if we have been friends for a while. I feel kind of awkward that I don't drink, just because that's the way everyone is, but also I do not feel pressured to drink. It's very chill and I like it.

This is just something I noticed and it seems very important in their culture. I looked at the case as if it was a case study for anthropology. I'm so glad that I took those anthropology courses, because I feel so proud that I am using them to assess the situation now, constantly. I recognize the cultural differences here compared to the one I am familiar with, yet I can fit in because I understand what is going on. Thank you Prof. Thomson! This has made my experience a lot more enjoyable.

Aside from this, our first Norwegian language lesson was today! I was so excited, because, of course, I am learning a new language. I am always excited to understand another language. Spending some time listening to those audio Norwegian lessons definitely paid off. Today in class, I got excited on many occasions because I undertood things and rememebered words from my audio lesson.

We also got bikes today. They are very nice bikes; like brand new! I'm so anxious to ride around town and explore, especially along the water front!

No comments: