Monday, August 18, 2008

Grocery Shopping

First, I just want to say that I'm sorry to the people who actually read my blog. I know, I ramble on and on and the end never seems to be near. That's becaue I want to make sure all the details are there and all that, but I realize that if I continue to do this, each post will end up being a chapter of a novel, which is cool, but too much to read. So I'm going to make life easier for all of us, and post on one or two topics each post, just to keep it short. I will write all my excessive rambles in my journal and once in a week (at least), I will write a short summary. With that out of the way, here is the first shocking topic (to me) to discuss:

The Horror of Grocery Shopping

Grocery shopping is definitely a new life skill that I need to learn. I was always aware of this "grocery shopping" fact of life, but it never hit me quite hard enough, until now. Suddenly, I have to think about how much money I can spend on chicken and rice while still having enough for all the other stuff that I need. Plus, the high prices here does not make that task any easier. I get sad when I see that butter is about 21kr ($5), or two small pieces of chicken breast is about 24kr (~$6). Many other items, especially with a brand that is from the US or other country, are extremely expensive. I don't even want to eat when I see the prices, which is saying a lot because if you know me well enough, you know that eating is one of my special hobbies.

In any case, grocery shopping is expensive, but not as expensive as eating out. I've seen some prices on some common dishes at a restaurant, and it's pretty pricy. At a Chinese restaurant, one dish at an average price was about 150kr ($30). That's like eating out at the Cheesecake Factory or Red Lobster. It's a good thing that I am not dependent on eating out and that I can somewhat competently cook. Luckily, my roommate and I are on the same page; we plan on getting groceries and cooking our own meals. Like I said, even though grocery is expensive, it's significantly cheaper than going out the eat.

P.S. My worked it out with my dryer and converter; everything is fine and it decided to cooperate and work. This makes me (and my hair) very happy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Makara -- Your blogs are wonderful! Your description of the cafeteria was right on and brought back a few memories, since on my last trip to the school I spent at least one part of every day there. Your photos also are nicely done. I like the caption you provided about the "romantics" being prevented from stealing the romantic chair.

I'll look forward to your future blogs.

Cliff Rowe