Sunday, November 16, 2008

Comfort of home in Stavanger

Click here for PICTURES

I went to visit a Vietnamese friend (Van) in Stavanger this weekend. He studied at PLU for a semester last year, and we met a few times through Christina (she was on tennis). I wasn't sure what to expect because I was staying at his house with his family, especially since we had only met about three or four times at PLU before he left. But in any case, we kept in touch and I visited. I'm so glad that I took a chance and just went with it because it's one of the most wonderful experiences here in Norway so far. It makes the top three, I'd say. The comfort and warmth of home that I've been lacking was right there in that home! The family was welcoming and the food was delicious! I'm really missing that house now that I'm back in Hamar because even though I only visited for three nights and two days, the resulting bond was much stronger than just three nights and two days. And it was really sad to have such delicious food only to be welcomed back in Hamar by ramen noodles.



His family was simply amazing. His parents were so welcoming of me, even though they've never met me before or knew much about me. Heck, Van didn't know too much about me either. His girlfriend, brothers, sister and cousin didn't push me away either. Most of time there, I was home. We went out a few times to see his family, eat, oil museum, and sight seeing, but the majority of the time was spent in his home, just hanging out and watching movies (Hong Kong and other Chinese shows along with American movies). Watching Hong Kong shows with his family reminded me of when I watched it at home with my family as well. And each night, we'd (well, some of us) watch movies until the crack of dawn, and slept in the next day. It was a really nice trip; a piece of home.

I really wish they lived closer, so that it would be easier to visit a second time. But in a way, it's a good thing that they are far, because I might visit too much! :)

I was sad this morning when I ate the last breakfast there. It was so bitter, I didn't want to leave. I felt so comfortable there. I miss them.

But like I said, it was lots of fun. And fun equals PICTURES! So! Click here for the pictures!

No comments: