Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Asylum Seekers' Camp, Norwegian Language Class

This week has been very eventful and inspiring. The highlights include my visits to the Norwegian Language School for immigrants, refugees, asylum seekers and foreigners looking for work. I also visited the Ormsetter, which is the asylum seekers camp.

I went to the language school before, last Friday, but that was just to interview the headmaster. I didn't interact much with the students. The second time was on Monday. I had an appointment to sit in on a class to observe, but the teacher was sick. So I ended up observing a different class. This one was in a computer lab where students work individually at their own pace on computer programs that utilized video, audio, voice in mic, visual, and writing to practice Norwegian language. Everyone was very curious as to why I was there, so I spend some time explaining to some people that I was there to observe and do some research for a report. I also mentioned that I was an international student at the local university. Some people tooking a quick liking to me, and invited me back to speak with them after I had moved on a bit. I was very happy to be there! Towards the end of the class, this guy named Hashim called to me from the connecting room "Hva heter du?" asking what my name is. I was a bit surprised, but I went and spoke with him for a bit. He showed me what he was doing and explained his situation. Then he invited me to visit the asylum camp. I was so happy by this invitation, mainly because I was surprised at how quickly I gained their trust! When he took me to the bus stop, he had someone else, a very nice lady named Badia, take care of me and made sure that I got there. Badia also stays at the camp. We spoke at the bus stop and on the bus. At the bus stop, a man (I think his name was Ali?) was so nice and had a really pleasant conversation with me! And then after that, when I was at the asylum, he kept poping up and I saw him everywhere. What was interesting about that day was that everyone had thought that I was new there for the language program. And when I went to the asylum camp, for those who had not spoken to me were confirmed that I was there to join them. So because of that, I think I got the kind of experience and treatment that I would otherwise not had. Everyone was so welcoming of me! I was so happy!

The next day, I went back to observe some more. This time, it was an actual class in action. It was very interesting. This girl Hoda from Sumalia was so excited to see me, she called me to sit next to her in front of the class. I had initially wanted to sit in the back to observe, but she was so eager and friendly that it was hard for me to refuse the invitation. In class, I basically followed along with them in the lesson. I had fun. I understood some Norwegian, to my surprise! During break, Hoda took me under her wing and showed me the canteen/cafeteria and we talked for quite a while about a lot! She was eager to speak with me and I was surprised a bit at how everything turned out. Her English was basically perfect with an American accent, except she has never been to the US. I thought that was very impressive. She's one of those who are inspired by their experiences, and are striving to build themselves so that they can help. She wants to be a doctor. Later on that day, I saw some others that I had met the previous day, and they were a sad, it seemed, when I said that I won't be coming back. I was actually very sad to say that because somehow, in those two days, I grew a bit attached to the people there. But, in any case, I have to move on and write my case study. The experience will definitely be forever in my heart.

No comments: