Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Appeals court & blacklight

Our class visited the local appeals court today, and I have to say, it was an interesting experience indeed. This was my first time visiting a court room at all, so everything was new to me. It wasn't much different than what I had imagined except that it was smaller. I noticed that the only image in the whole room was the logo of, what I assume, the municipality or government.

The system was also a bit different than what I had imagined. First of all, it was really small scale and the structure was pretty simple. Everything that seemed logical to be there, was there. There are three levels to the court system.

1) First Instance Courts
2) Appeals Courts (there are 6 total, if I remember correctly)
3) Supreme Court (there is only one)

All the courts basically deal with all the issues because there is not a "specialized" court. These courts consider to main issues: criminal and civil disputes. There are judges: president judge, and x-number of lay judges. There are also 10 members of the jury. I was surprised to hear that the lay judges do not have to dress formally for the occasion. Nor does the defendent and a few other exceptions of people. I had the impression that since this was a formal issue, everyone would dress formally, but no. Some are allowed to dress informally so that they are comfortable.

The point that really shocked me was that the defendent can lie. They have the right to keep silent, refuse to answer, and lie. However, if the witnesses lie, then that is breaking the law. I was shocked to hear this.

Here is the layout of the courtroom that I visited. Sorry that my drawing isn't very easy to comprehend. I was trying to map it out while listening to the lecture at the same time. Click on the picture for a bigger view.

I sat at the prosecuting lawyer's seat.

So that's the brief impression from the visit to the local court room.

On another note, I discovered why some public restrooms have blacklight rather than normal light. I first noticed this at a shopping mall in Kristiansund. I thought, "Wow! These people like psychadelic lights!" I also thought that it was a bit irrational since it alters colors and perception completely. It was weird; my lips looked black like in a horror movie! But today, while at the city hall, the bathrooms were also lit with blacklight. So Emily went to ask why, and the explanation is that the blacklight makes seeing the veins difficult, thus discouraging drug use. I found that very interesting! And of course, that makes perfect sense to do that, now that I understand.

PS. Sunday morning is the begining of Emily's and my adventure in Venice! I'm so excited! I can't believe that it is already here in a few days. Time flies by so quickly. It seems like I had just arrived, and now it's almost half way over. I've made so many wonderful memories, and met such inspiring people here that the thought of ever leaving now is painful.

No comments: